Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Finally! Some luck at Goodwill!

I have to admit...I am green with envy when I hear about all the great finds you all discover when shopping at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Craigslist, Habitat, etc.  $10 buffets, $3 tables, a whole bedroom set for $18.50 (ok, maybe I made that last one up, but I bet someone out there has done it or even beat that deal-outside of being given something) Anyway,  I never find anything!  ::insert annoying whine here::  When I do find something that catches my eye, it is waaaaay overpriced!  ::more whining::

There is a Salvation Army store about 10 minutes from my house.  I have been in there maybe 6 or 7 times and I have left empty handed every.single.time.  But...not this time! 

So I went in yesterday morning and found this:




The price?  $4.99, with half off that!!  Finally.  A decent deal.  The wheeels were turning in my head with what I wanted to do with this soon to be lovely thing.  The poor girl had seen better days.

I paid my $2.49 and brought her home with hopes of painting her white and replacing the current black shelf above my toilet in the bathroom we're almost finished remodeling with this one. 

So, I hung her up outside and wouldn't you know it was incredibly windy so she was spinning like a top as I tried to paint.  It made for some very interesting and clutsy spray painting.



So after one coat (of Rustoleum's Heirloom White), she looked like this and I had almost as much paint on me and you see on her.





I finished her up in the garage after meticulousy laying down paper so that the entire floor and all of my husband's toys were protected so that I didn't have another paint mishap and have to hear all about it from him.  (Yes, I said ANOTHER paint mishap and no, the wind blowing my shelf around isn't what I'm talking about...more on that in a bit).

I also picked up a few knobs at Home Depot for the shelf that were gold and $1.19 each.  I likled very similar ones in ORB that were $3 each, but I couldn't justify the price difference.  I bought the gold ones and sprayed painted them to look like this:




After I painted her white,  I held her up in my bathroom and decided NOPE, it wasn't going to work.  The white just didn't look right with the other things I have on the wall.  OK, I probably should have thought things through before I just started spraying away, but I'm impulsive that way.  You'll see this is a recurring theme with me.

So, I went back to the garage and after a few coats of black last night and some distressing this morning with fine sandpaper, my new shelf now looks like this:






I ran into a little problem when I sprayed my clearcoat.  Some of the surface cracked!  After doing a little reading, I found out that the paint underneath was not completely dry when I sprayed the clearcoat and since the clearcoat dries so much quicker (I guess), the surface gets stretched, hence the cracking.  So now I have a little repairing to do, but oh well.  What's done is done!  And I am a little bit done with it for today, to be honest.  Here's another after pic:



Oh, and my other little paint mishap had do with  my doorknobs that I mentioned here.  Since I was in a painting mood yesterday, I thought I would just quickly touch up a the knob on my laundry room door.  So, I put some paper behind it and sprayed and all was fine.  Since that went well, I decided to do the pantry door.  At that time, and I am not blaming him, my 4 year old walked up and started asking what I was doing and begging for treats, etc.  Well, since I am easily distracted, I forgot to be precise with my backdrop while painting and my door looked like this (excuse the blurriness):



Oh my God!  No good!  I have to admit that even my son was horrified, but he became really distraught when I took a picture of it for you guys!  "MOM!  Why are taking a picture?!"  Luckily, Magic Eraser exists and no one but us, and now you, knew what happened!

Oh, and one last thing.  My kitchen ceiling.  My mom came over for a visit the other day and as usual, had some tiny presents for my boys.  This time it was little men that stick to the wall when you throw them there.  Do you see where I'm going?  Well, SOMEONE, not me, but either my mom or husband told them to throw them up on the ceiling.  They thought it was hilarious.  Turns out, those guys really stick.  We are on day three of my ceiling looking like this:
 



Yup.  Those guys really stick!  If you look close, you'd think they were going to fall any minute now....SEE:



...but nope.  Its been three days!  I refuse to remove them out of principle (not sure what principle yet) and also because once they are down, they'll just end up somewhere else...


Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. You are too funny! I felt the same way about the window things that you stick on the window. Someone gave them to my kids and they were all over the place including the fireplace glass doors. it was not a pretty site! Eventually they just fell off.

    I love your new shelf! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny...great post! I have had those sticky things on my walls and ceilings more than once! Love the shelf and knobs...thanks for the tip on the paint drying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny - my husband issued a decree that no more of those sticky things come into our house - they actually leave a greasy residue on walls. But back to the shelf - love it! You did a great job (and got a fantastic price!).

    ReplyDelete