Since we officially had the first day of Spring a few days ago, I thought I would attempt to do something crafty and make a Spring wreath for my front door. While I sometimes get great ideas for crafts (or see great ideas for crafts that I want to copy may be more like it in this case), the execution of creating those things sometimes falls short for me. It requires patience. And time. I am low on both those things at times. That said, this project turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself! Really, it didn't take much time at all.
Of course, true to form, it was a bit of an adventure like most of my projects around here are!
So, first I needed a wreath, right? It was the only thing didn't have on hand. One requirement for this project was that I use what I had on hand and didn't run out to buy everything. So I headed to Michaels and bought this:
Sorry for the dark pics, it was really cloudy here yesterday.
I had this burlap on hand and knew I wanted to use it for this wreath:
The original plan was to use a colorful burlapish (real word? probably not) ribbon I had to intertwine with this and call it a day, but once I got it out, I realized the colors screamed "Fall". Literally. I thought it looked a little "Fallish" and then looked at the name on the spool and it said "Autumn Harvest" or something, so yup, back to the drawing board. Or Google, if you want to be technical.
A little Googling for burlap wreaths found this:
I loved it and I had what I needed on hand for it. Perfect!
The above link will give you a great tutorial on how to make this wreath. I just took my burlap and wrapped it around my wreath so it looked like this:
I hot glued the ends to keep it in place. Then I just cut random size circles out of my burlap from some fabric I had on hand. The burlap I had was really loosely woven, so it was hard to get a perfect circle shape, but that didn't really matter. The fabric I had on hand worked, but in a perfect world, I would have had some cuter stuff on hand. This project was about using what I had though, so its ok!
This is one of the fabrics I had on hand. I originally used this fabric for curtains in my son's nursery:
I also had this beaded garland on hand from when I bought it at Pier One 8 years ago. A store closed and they were clearancing all their inventory. I went a little crazy when things got to 75 and 90%off and bought two of these. I've never used them, so it probably wasn't such a great deal after all!
I just pulled some beads off and used them for the centers of my flowers. There are so many on there, you can't even tell I touched it.
Then I just stacked the random sized circles of burlap and fabric, hot glued them together and then hot glued the beads on so it looked like this:
I was done with this part and glueing them all in place on the actual wreath when it was time for my regularly (un)scheduled mishap to occur. I am about 90% finished when I hear my napping two year old crying. I run up to his room and he greets me with, "I need to go to the hospital", which he sometimes randomly says ever since we visited my stepfather one time at a hospital. The place really made an impression on him. I think he's just trying to get out of his nap, lay him back down and return to my wreath. A few minutes later, he's crying again. I go up and there it is...My poor baby is sick. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say we revisited lunch up there.
After a long break and some cleaning, I managed to get a few minutes to somewhat frantically finish the wreath in between his little stomach bouts. I would have just put it away and finished it another day, but I was SO CLOSE to being done that I couldn't.
So, without further ado, here it is:
|Notice my dog looking out on the left there...|
This little bird was .01! (Ok, so I bought two things)
Today's Creative Blog